Research & Discovery
For the range and intensity of its research, the University of Oxford has few peers anywhere in the world. The breadth of our research activities is remarkable, extending from the study of the formation of the universe and the development of early civilisations, through to high-performance computing and the latest breakthroughs in medical science.
The quality of the work carried out at Oxford shapes the world around us. In particular our scientific and medical departments are leading the way in finding new approaches to the problems that face the world that we live in, creating new materials and techniques for business and engineering, and discovering cures for disease and illness.
- Oxford's Department of Chemistry is the largest in the western world.
- The Oxford Martin School comprises a broad network of institutes tackling global challenges including climate change, migration and the impact of technology on society.
- The Oxford Internet Institute examines the way global electronic communications are changing the way we live.
- The Saïd Business School is one of Europe's youngest and most entrepreneurial business schools.
- The Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment equips public and private enterprise with the solutions, knowledge and networks needed to address the world's environmental challenges.
- The Blavatnik School of Government is a global school pursuing a vision of better government, stronger societies, and richer human opportunities across the world.